Monday, August 23, 2010

Kindergarten going well

Macy has been to 3 days of kindergarten.  Here, kindergarten is half day, so drop off is 12:30 and pick up is 3:05, barely time for her to miss me, right?  

To start off her first day, we had powdered doughnuts.  The kids LOVE them, and Jarett spotted them last time we were at the store.  I said no, but changed my mind and said if we bought them, we would save them for the first day of school.  So, I put candles in them and we sang "Happy Kindergarten to you..."  We also sang to Jarett--he will be a "Jungle Animal" at his School.


The first day Jeremy came and had lunch with us at the house and we dropped her off together.  We got there early and all the moms and dads were standing outside the front door with their girls (yes, girls, her entire class is girls!!!  It is a lottery school and that is just how the lottery fell.  The AM class is heaver on boys, so next year they are sure to mix up the boys a bit).  

Macy's teacher came to meet us at the door and we went with the class to take a picture in front of the school sign.   Before we went over there, Macy saw one of her friends, Natalie, from Sonshine school and said hi to her, and she introduced her other friend, Emma to Macy.  It was so sweet, Emma said to Macy, "Do you want to play with us?"  Macy quietly said yes.  Anyway most of the parents were around the perimeter, but Macy did not want to let go of my hand--so sweet, it made me tear up.   

Macy in front of the sign

Macy and her classmates and Mrs. Maren

Mrs. Maren had all the girls line up, then told them to blow kisses to their moms and dads.  We then blew kisses back and waved to them as they marched into school.  It was sweet, and a good way of keeping parents from lingering.
Macy said she had a good day.  Got to read a couple of books, draw a picture, tour the playground and learn the rules, find out where to get a drink, go to the bathroom...  She said she had fun, but was a little scared and a little sad.  However, the second day of school, I asked her how her day was and she said it was good and that she was neither scared nor sad, but that she had fun.  She thought it was so neat that they have a LIBRARY in school!  (Macy has always LOVED going to the library, so I am certain this was quite exciting for her.)  I am glad she likes school; I am sure having to get used to being on a schedule.  

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Glad to hear that she is doing well. I can't believe her class is ALL girls! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! All girls... how'd that happen?
Anyway, I had to comment mostly because Ethan had a very similar reaction to the LIBRARY in his school (if you're interested in reading it, go to piggtimes.com). And Heather told me Scott was super jazzed about the same thing! So I guess you can tell who loves the books. :-) Glad she seems to be doing well. What a relief for a mommy, right? --Catherine